Friday, November 19, 2010

Free Silver (or Silverplate?) Spoon!

My girlfriend's dad came up 150 miles last weekend and decided he'd bring along some yogurt for the trip, including a spoon from his house. He forgot the spoon here but said we could keep it. I didn't really think much of it until my girlfriend brought the spoon over and asked me, "Isn't this tarnished like those silver coins you have?". I took a look at it and it was tarnishing in the nice purple-ish black color that indicates at least a silver plated item.

I looked for a hallmark on it but could only ID the manufacturer: Oneida. Most of the Oneida silverplate items have come across are labeled as plated, but this one has no mark indicating the composition so it could be real silver. Of course, most of the "tableware silver" people find are only plated, so there's a notch against this.

Gotta find the nitric acid I guess....